background

Monday, January 22, 2024

Just another manic Monday...

I actually got pretty much done today.  Sometime after midnight, I finished making my menu for the week and placing our grocery order.  Then after some sleep, I packed a box of birthday goodies for a friend.  I stopped at WalMart to pick up some potting soil, then picked up the grocery order.  I dropped off a library book and picked up two more.  I mailed the birthday package.  I stopped by my old office to pick up a plant that I wanted to repot for them.  I came home and put away all the groceries that needed refrigeration and then repotted the plant.  I returned the plant to the office.  I came home and cleaned the bathroom, and then read a chapter in one of my new library books. I put away all the rest of the groceries, started supper, then loaded the dishwasher with all the supper-prep dishes and handwashed a couple of things I don't like to put in the dishwasher.  Whew!

 

Quiche with Hashbrown Crust recipe by bellyfull.net

Apologies for the photo (actually for a lot of photos lately).  It's the dark days.

I saw this recipe on Instagram a day or two ago and thought I'd give it a try.  I made this one a little differently than the recipe that was given.  Hers had sausage, and I wanted to make it meatless.  Mine is so full of vegetables that I didn't even bother with adding a salad or separate vegetable to accompany it.  

The crust is easy.  I bought a bag of shredded potato which equaled about the 3 cups that the recipe calls for.  You just add a quarter cup (half a stick) of melted butter, the hashbrowns, and salt and pepper, then press it into a pie pan.  The author of the recipe said to grease the pie pan, but I just melted the butter in the pie plate in the microwave, so considered it greased.  Baked at 375° for 30 minutes.

I sliced an onion, a bell pepper, mushrooms and sauteed them till tender; then I added halved cherry tomatoes and a couple of handfuls of baby spinach to the pan and removed the pan from the heat.  When the crust had baked, I added the vegetables to it, then poured on the mixture of eggs, cream, shredded cheese, salt and pepper evenly and baked at 375 for an additional 30 minutes.

I liked it.  Carey sad he preferred a traditional pastry crust, but I was trying to really ramp up the vegetable content.  I don't think he has caught on yet that we are eating more meatless meals this year...at least he hasn't said anything.  ;)  I think tonight's quiche puts us at 5 meatless meals so far this month, which beats my goal of 2 per month.  And actually probably more, because some of the leftovers we've been eating were meatless as well.

1 comment:

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails