background

Friday, January 12, 2024

2024 Frugal Friday File, Jaunary 12...

 

1.  I worked on Monday.  Money in.

2.  Prepared menu and grocery order.  Checked and rechecked what was already in freezer and pantry.  Took some things out of the cart that were wants, but not necessities.  Bought store brand when possible to take advantage of earning cash back, and used new grocery card at checkout.  

3.  Carey has been checking all door and window insulation as we are expecting high winds and low temperatures with ice within the next few days.  Should help to keep the house warmer, and cut down on mechanical heating waste.  I don't know that he found any gaps, so maybe we have been energy efficient all along.  I'm so glad he is conscientious, and skilled,  about these sort of things.

4.  Our library has started sending out emails to cardholders of new books that have just been acquired.  Two of the ones on this week's list are ones I really want to read, and I responded immediately to reserve them.  One is ready for pick up, the other shows that I'm #1 in line, so maybe it's just not ready for checkout yet.  Carey is going to be near the library tomorrow, so rather than me making a trip to pick up the book (or books), I am sending him with my library card to pick up for me.

    I also reserved several others from the website of a group of participating libraries that lends ebooks and audiobooks.  I'm not #1 on those lists.  It indicates that for two of them I will be waiting at least six months.  That's okay.  I have lots of things to read, so I can wait for free reading material.

6.  My grocery order included a shoulder roast which was on sale.  I will cube it this morning to put in the slow cooker for beef stew tonight; the stew meat was more expensive, and I don't mind cutting the roast down myself.  I also purchased some different cuts of chicken in fairly large quantities to get better pricing, and I will be vacuum sealing those in recipe-friendly quantities, and spacing them out in the bag so that they will thaw quicker.  

From the kitchen this week was:

Saturday:  Leftovers

Sunday:  Sunday supper @ Kasey & Beau's

Monday:  homecooked meal from the freezer

Tuesday:  homecooked meal from the freezer

Wednesday:  Chinese out

Thursday:  one of us had hot dogs, one had an omelet

Friday:  Beef Stew with cornbread

3 comments:

  1. The ability to request library books online is wonderful! Glad you found some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the request option at my local library and don't mind being in line a while as I've always got something to read. Great frugal tips as always.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails