1. We were going out to a place we like for a late lunch/early dinner (not frugal) on Wednesday. I remembered before we left home that they have put a Little Free Library out front of the cafe. The first time I saw it, I didn't feel right about taking a book since I didn't have any to leave in exchange. Today I picked up a couple of books from my already-read pile before we left home.
I love the idea of little free libraries, and I want one, but we live in a semi-rural area and on a cul-de-sac to boot, so I don't think it would see much traffic if I had one. I happily deposited my two donation books today on my way into the restaurant. And the frugal part of this story is that on the way out of the restaurant I found a mystery paperback that caught my fancy to take home with me.
2. Aestivation - prolonged torpor or dormancy of an animal during a hot or dry period. As opposed to hibernation. That's what I'm doing. Hiding from the heat. Staying home. Watching free craft tutorials on Youtube. And movies on Netflix (which may not be free, but at least I'm getting my money's worth on the subscription).
3. Getting a head start on Christmas gifting/crafting. I'm making plans and lists. I've requested an all homemade gift exchange among the family this year...not sure all will want to do that, but it's okay to mix it up. My quilt group is also doing a handmade exchange this year, so I'm working on that as well. A good portion of all gifts will be done with supplies on hand.
4. Using free printables to replenish Yahtzee! score cards. We play Yahtzee! often, lately at every family supper. And last week we were down to using the remains of a pad from the 1960's. My kids were amazed as they handed me a partially used score sheet, all foxed and somewhat brittle around the edges, with my maiden name written in elementary cursive. :) I don't need to make a pad out of the ones I'm printing, but I have plenty of free chipboard and a jar of padding compound from when I made these, so I might as well.
5. Vacation planning. Keeping it as frugal as possible. Meal planning and pet arrangements are a major consideration in the process. Can't we just stay home?
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Sunday: Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday: Bacon Ranch Tortellini Salad
Wednesday: *dinner out
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)