background

Friday, January 26, 2024

Frugal Friday File 2024, January 26...

1.  Right before the end of the year, I added "stop using 'baby' carrots" to my 2024 Bucket List of Hopes.  Not because of any scary article I've read, but because I'm retired now.  When I was working I fell back on some conveniences that I don't really need to rely on anymore.  After doing a rough price comparison at my grocery, it seems that I can save 1/3 to 1/2 of what we spend on carrots by buying old-fashioned, unprocessed, whole ones.  I'm retired; I have the time now.  And they taste better!  

2.  The new grocery credit card is doing its job so far.  We've only had it since the new year started, and the rewards (5% back on store brands, and 1.5% back on all other purchases) already amount to $15.33, and the $50 sign-up bonus for charging a certain amount within initial period has already paid into the account.  This really highlights just how much we spend on food...approximately $600 so far this month, and $75 of that was for meals out.

3.  After a week at home trying to stay warm, when the sun started shining, I went and did some impulse shopping at Dollar Tree (so it wasn't too much of a splurge).  I bought some Betty Crocker sugar cookie mixes and some Rolo candies to pop on top of the cookies after they come out of the oven, a small tin of shortbread, a lip balm, 2 pair of socks, and a few other items.  Some of these were to include in a birthday box I was mailing to a friend, some of them were for Valentine treats, some of them were for the pantry.

4.  When I mailed my friend's birthday package, the postage cost more than anything that was in the box.  We've been exchanging birthday boxes of goodies for years, and never anything big.  My favorite thing she ever included in my box was one of the coffee cups from her set of dishes; when I use it I feel like I'm sitting in her kitchen. 

I keep a small clear bin on my desk with her name on it, and add things as I find them throughout the year.  We share a love of card making, so anytime I accidentally buy duplicate supplies, or intentionally want to share a favorite something, I pop it in her bin on my desk to go in her next birthday box.  We gift wrap each item, and it is so fun to both give and receive.  It doesn't cost a lot to make someone feel special.

5.  All meals were made at home this week.  Still managing to squeeze toothpaste out of a flat tube.  Reading library books.  Used styrofoam from packing material, cut in odd shapes, to create a drainage area in the bottom of a plant pot.  

On the menu this week: 

Saturday:  Fish sandwiches, coleslaw, leftover mac-n-cheese, onion rings

Sunday:  Sunday supper at Kasey & Beau's

**Monday:  Quiche with Hashbrown Crust 

**Tuesday:  Carey had leftover potato soup, I had avocado toast

Wednesday:  Virginia's Taco Soup

**Thursday:  Kale & Quinoa Salad, roasted beets/sweet potato/onion/bell pepper/chick peas

Friday:  Sausage w/ carrots/onion/bell pepper & Mushroom Rice

(**designates meatless meal)

4 comments:

  1. The cost of postage is just ridiculous! I don't see swaps on blog posts any longer because it's just too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frequency of raising postage rates feels off to me. Like they want us to get used to the frequency, then instead of a few cents here and a few cents there, they might make a big jumps. Makes me feel uneasy.

      Delete
  2. I just love how your friend gave you the coffee cup from her set. What a thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Susan! I think I had tears in my eyes when I opened it. Such a sweet gesture!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails