background

Saturday, September 21, 2024

2024 Frugal Friday File, September 20...

 

1.  It hasn't been a particularly thrifty week.  I've picked up takeout rather than cooking after days spent sweating in the garage.  I haven't weighed lately, but there should be about a stone of water weight lost due to the sweat of my brow (and neck, shoulders, back, and legs) over the past week.

2.  Free shredding:  I went through thirty years of my parents' financial paperwork (that has filled a 30 gallon storage bin for twenty-five years without being opened).  It was so heavy it could not be moved by me.  I had to sit down beside it where it was and just go through it.  It took two full afternoons.  I don't know that it needed to be shredded...all of the bank accounts have been closed for years, and the owners of the Social Security numbers have been deceased for decades...but I just couldn't put it in the trash.  For one thing, we would not have had room for our household trash if it went into our weekly pick up; also I think there is a weight limit for our pick up which would have been gone over.  I removed things like documents from things like envelopes, and put everything I knew was harmless into the trash.  Anything with personal info, etc. went into bags.  I took those to my old office, and was allowed to put them in their locked bins which a shredding service picks up and shreds on site.  The office never comes close to filling their bins, and we've accepted documents for shredding from clients over the years.  That felt SO good to get that done and gone!  

I did keep maybe a half dozen documents, some of which will be shredded at home at a later time.  I just couldn't do it at present.  My parents rarely put things in writing unless work related.  Seeing their signatures exactly as I remember them just makes me feel a little emotional.

3.  Free drop-off unloading:  So far I have taken two FULL carloads (SUV) to Goodwill, and the third load is ready to be  Ioaded.  I could have had a garage sale, but in past experience, they are a lot of work for very little reward.  I have a busy couple of months coming up, and I just want this stuff GONE!  I suppose I could ask Kasey to list a few things on FB Marketplace or Nextdoor, but I haven't come across anything yet that even made me think about doing that.

4.  Not so free entertainment:  I've been listening to the Audible book I wrote about previously.  I listened all Wednesday afternoon...all Thursday afternoon...in the bathtub at night...and some Friday morning.    I still have twelve hours of listening to go (even though the speed setting has been set to an accelerated speed).  SO glad to have taken this method of keeping myself working and 'reading' at the same time.

5.  Free help:  Friday Jared helped me by sweeping cobwebs off of everything before I loaded it into the car.  He is kind and patient and does whatever I ask.  Today (Saturday) his sister {Kasey) came over and she is a MEAN OVERLORD!  She has worked me non-stop.  She has given me a short break presently, then she is coming back and assures me we WILL be getting done tonight!  Help!  (But seriously, we have made amazing progress that would not have been accomplished without her.  Now I will post this before she comes back and chains me up again to finish sorting donations from keeps.  

I have brought a few things in the house to find a place for...some old towels and bedspreads that will be washed before taking them to the animal shelter....and also some framed artwork and photos.  I have been pretty ruthless about donations and discards.  I may make my goal of not over filling the shelf I purchased for the garage.

On the menu this past week:

Saturday:  Omelette

Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's

Monday:  Late takeout lunch, skipped supper

Tuesday:  Late takeout lunch, skipped supper

Wednesday:  Late takeout lunch, skipped supper

Thursday:  Late takeout lunch, skipped supper

Friday:  Late takeout lunch, skipped supper

**designates meatless meal

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails