background

Saturday, April 20, 2024

What I'm reading Wednesday (on Saturday)...

The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake
Finished this one on Tuesday.  When the main character is orphaned during a cholera epidemic, the doctor takes her home with him to figure out what to do with her.  The doctor's housekeeper insists they keep her.  She's bright and interested, and he trains her to help in his practice.  I liked it, and would rate it 7 out of 10.

The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon
Inspired by an actual midwife in 18th century Maine.  I love a good midwife story, and this did not disappoint!  I would rate it 9 out of 10.  The Author's Note and Acknowledgments were very interesting, and are worth a read after finishing the book.  I had to wait several months for this library ebook, but so worth it.  I couldn't put it down, and finished its 450 pages in 3 days. 

The Housemaid by Freida McFadden
For a change of pace I will be starting this one next.

4 comments:

  1. The Frozen River has been featured in several bloggers must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the book recommendations. I've reserved those first 2 at our library.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails