background

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

And they said it wouldn't last...

Forty-eight years ago today I was skinny, Carey had hair, and we tied the knot...even though I had to do it on crutches.  (And seriously, one of my own sisters said it wouldn't last, because I was interested in nothing but pretty clothes.  Guess we showed her!  LOL)

Tonight Carey and I went out for an early supper at a favorite restaurant, and we were literally the only customers in the place.  We were seated, and it was so quiet, but that was a very good thing as we could hear the soft music that they had playing.  The song that was playing when we were seated ended, and the next song started playing...it was the song that we had requested to be played at the wedding!  A forty-eight year old song that the number of times I have heard it played on the radio over the years could be counted on one hand.  I almost thought that Carey had called ahead to request it, but no, it was serendipity.  It was a lovely surprise.
 
This is the wedding photo that cracks me up.  The Baptists are smiling.  The Methodists are glum.  Can't speak for my pastor, but I was just wanting to get the shindig over so I could sleep off the Valium I took to get me through the day.  

I always say I was the bride from Sixteen Candles.  Not being a party person, and hating to be the center of attention, I begged my doctor for something to help me not have to spend the entire event hiding in a bathroom somewhere...the whole crutches thing put my stress level over the top.  Since Doc was elbow deep in plaster and had just given me the choice of going down the aisle on crutches or in a wheelchair, he took pity on me.

Did the bride think that just maybe she should take one pill ahead of the day to see what kind of timing to expect for it to work?  No, she did not.  She waited till right before leaving for church, and since it seemed not to be helping, she took another one.  That did the trick.  During the vows, I got tickled when I had to say "in sickness and in health."  It was apparently not an inaudible giggle, because in the reception line guests kept telling me how funny it was when I laughed out loud.

Good times.  Good times.  :)


6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! And what a wedding story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and story, Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! 48 years. I'm so proud of you. We've had 52. It just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary you two! I'm not surprised one bit! Love you guys! <3

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails