background

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Critical thoughts...

 

I'm still at it.  Today I searched out boxes in the craft room that needed to be emptied and broken down for recycling.  (You know, Rudy is looking forward to the next recycling trip!)

One of the above boxes was the large one that the Ikea shelf came in last week.  I was so proud of myself that I got the shelf picked up from the store, put together, and put into use in the craft room (as well as returning the original shelf back to my closet and put back into use there) all before Carey made it back from his same-day, round-trip to his uncle's funeral.  So it took me a few days to break down the box; I cut myself some slack.

After breaking down the boxes, I put my feet up and checked email.  In my inbox was a message from Julie Hage from whom I receive an email subscription to her website Filling the Jars.  I don't always read the whole thing, but was glad I did today as it resonated with me.

She was discussing decluttering after age 50 (exhaustion, health issues, inherited items from departed family, etc), and boy can I relate!  She suggests being clear with yourself on your reasons for decluttering by writing it into a mission statement.  

That stopped me in my tracks.  I have not been clear with myself about why I'm decluttering.  Yeah, yeah, I want things to be neater, more organized, but I want more than that as well, yet I have never put it into a clear thought.

After mulling it over while I cooked and did a few other chores, I set out to get it down in a honest and concise way that I can refer to when I need a gentle reminder as to why this is important to me and the ones I love.  I've had some experience writing and updating mission statements at work, and know that concise is important, as is clear language that states your intent.  I wasn't as concise as I could have been, but mission statements evolve, and I can declutter IT when the time comes.

My decluttering mission statement:

My critical goal is to decrease the superfluous items in our house, and to live in a home that welcomes us and others with peace;  a home that shows off the objects that are special to us, instead of having them be lost among the crowd of unimportant  possessions; and to live with the knowledge that I have done all I can to make my eventual absence as easy as possible for my loved ones to settle.


I chose the word critical, after referring to a definition to be sure that it imparted what I wanted to say.

Critical : 

  • Inclined to express negative or disapproving comments
  • A meticulous analysis of literary, music, or artworks
  • An extremely close examination of a situation or problem having a high likelihood of becoming dire or turning into a crisis
I liked that the first definition hints at the negative talk that I too often have in my head as I declutter...why did you let this...you're just like...you wasted so much...and that negative talk should be the first thing dispatched!  The second definition reminds me to make an honest and meticulous analysis as to why or why not things should stay or go.  The third is a reminder that the time is now.

As I am focusing mostly on the office/craft room at the moment, I wrote a separate mission statement for it particularly.

My Creative Space Mission Statement:

My aim is to have a safe and peaceful place to create with joy, and where order and beauty reflect my gratitude for the blessings of space, skill, artistry, and satisfaction.

I am curious if others set down the particular reasons for personal action, and if so, in what manner...journaling, mission statement, self-reflection?

6 comments:

  1. I've never thought about doing a mission statement. When I look around our house, there is a lot of stuff, things we don't need that need to go. I need to put that down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped me to think about it and clarify.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea and mission statement. I am going to do the same to try to get more focused on fine tuning and decluttering our home as well as making progress on the endless to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juhli. It was what I needed at the time I needed it.

      Delete
  3. I never thought of my garage philosophy as being a mission statement, but that's exactly what it is for me! I apply it to the inside of my house as well. I blogged about it here:

    https://cannaryfamily.blogspot.com/2024/05/5-thing-friday-garden-hose-letters-junk.html

    I am on a mission to take control of all aspects of my life to the best of my abilities. I love reading about yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Your blog post linked is SO apropos. I love your garage philosophy! The second paragraph especially spoke directly to me!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails