background

Friday, March 22, 2024

2024 Frugal Friday File, week of March 22,

1.  My daughter does our taxes for free.  She does her kids', her m-i-l's, ours, not to mention her own.  This is yet another way she is like my mother. Mom always kept up with tax law changes, and would call her friends when she knew something new could effect their returns.

2.  I went to Costco and didn't buy any snack foods (though I really wanted chocolate), baked goods, prepared foods, bath mats, or a printer to replace my non-working one...all of which I looked at, maybe even thought about, but managed to resist.  I bought spices, pecans, ribs, and...my one impulse purchase...a new laundry basket.

3.  I've been cleaning and decluttering.  While cleaning out a drawer, I found 2 sets of 100% cotton cloth napkins.  They were still in their packaging, never been used, and had been purchased in 2004 when I was in Ireland.

4.  Saturday I placed my only set of placemats in the donation box.  I wasn't a hundred percent sure I wouldn't get them back out again, but I continued cleaning while I thought about it.  My husband...the king of do-it-now philosophy...took the donation box to Goodwill before I decided.  Oops.

     So Monday I went to JoAnn's to buy some fabric to make new placemats.  I chose fabrics that will match my new...old...new napkins (see #3). While I was waiting for the selected fabrics to be cut, I updated my JoAnn's app, and downloaded the coupons.  I also needed some Command picture hanging strips, and found what I needed before heading to the checkout.  The coupons applied to my purchases equaled the exact cost of the Command strips give or take a few cents.

5.  I'm in the midst of (taking a little break from at the moment actually) extending the sofa covers to make them better fit our very long sofa.  I bought 3 readymade covers in the longest size I could find; and I'm using one to cut each end off to extend the length of the other two.  The first one is done and on the sofa.  The second one is on the sewing machine, and the break is due to language so blue that I'm letting the air clear.  :) 

I'll end up with two covers that fit, so I always have a clean one to put on the sofa while I'm laundering the other.  This is so Rudy can be on the sofa with us.  His shed hair is highly visible on the sofa's upholstery, and his nails may or may not leave scratches, but I'm not willing to find out.  

Being able to sew has saved me a mint over the years.  Of course, it wouldn't if I had to put money in a swear jar.  ;)

On the menu this week:

Saturday:  takeout hamburgers

Sunday:  Sunday family dinner at Kasey and Beau's

Monday:  Chicken & Veg Marinara over Spaghetti Squash

Tuesday:  Pork Boneless Ribs, Mac & Cheese, Baked Beans

Wednesday:  takeout Schlotzky sandwiches

Thursday:  Pork Fried Rice

Friday:  leftovers

**designates meatless meal 

3 comments:

  1. Vic does all the sewing in this house, all his uniforms, I'm sure he's saved us a bundle over the last 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to Vic! I like hand sewing more than machine, but on big jobs the machine comes out.

      Delete
  2. You mentioned ribs, and it reminded me of a few years ago, my young grandson was here. We were outside and he ate some snow. He sort of choked on it and I said, "Must of had a bone in it!" He replied, "Grandma, snow doesn't have bones! Only people....... and... ribs!"

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails