background

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Highs and Lows...

The hardest things for me to do with my bad knees and shoulder are climb up high on a ladder, and kneel or sit on the floor, to do cleaning tasks.  This week I have had a wonderful gift!

Caitlyn is home from school for Spring Break.  She had been hoping to work for her previous employer while she is home to bulk up her savings that have been helping pay for school expenses.  During Christmas break she was able to work quite a bit for them, but when she called before Spring Break to see if she could pick up some shifts, she was told that they had everything covered.

I told her I could use her help, and would be happy to gift her school money when she heads back after her break.  She was willing, and far more able than I, to do some of the jobs that I had put on the list I made recently of things I wanted to accomplish at home over the next few months.  

Things like emptying bookshelves, dusting them top to bottom, and helping me downsize the contents before refilling the shelves.  These days my knees just don't hold out for long when the job at hand calls for multiple trips up and down a ladder, so jobs take me longer. 

On Saturday she started in the playroom which contained the few toys and many, many books I've kept since my kids were little and the grandkids came along.  I texted all the kids and grandkids to ask if there were any books they especially remembered and would like to have.  Kasey took some that were favorites and that she will save for her future grandchildren.  Caitlyn took a few as she was working.  Bobby came and packed a boxful to use in his work with special-needs children.  The rest of the books are now boxed up to donate.

Once Caitlyn had those first shelves spic and span, she moved to the guest room and did the same in a similar sized bookshelf in there.  I didn't have a huge amount of books in that one, as they have been culled before, but there were quite a few photos and decorative items, and the tops and high shelves hadn't been dusted for far too long.  That was true of all the open shelving units in our house.  

On Sunday afternoon she took the ladder and vacuum to the laundry room.  I had already dusted and reorganized the shelves over the washer and dryer, but forgot to clean the top of the cabinet.  Caitlyn had that done in no time.  Then she moved on to floor-to-ceiling shelves that house bins of dog food, Rudy's replacement toys (I order some of his favorites in multiples so as his current ones wear out they can be quickly and easily replaced), tools, batteries, and cleaning supplies, etc.  She also cleaned out Rudy's kennel and his feeding mat.

Monday she started on the dining room's built-in shelves, and then emptied and dusted my great-grandmother's china cabinet.  Between the dining room and kitchen we have a large antique kitchen cabinet (bottom photo) that had originally been built into the kitchen of the house I grew up in.  Caitlyn cleaned it top to bottom, inside and out.  And finally the open shelving (top photo) on both sides of the window in the kitchen was also thoroughly dusted and restocked.
 

This has ticked lots of boxes from my to-do list, and jobs that would have taken me weeks have been done in a long weekend thanks to young muscles, joints, and energy! Now Caitlyn is off to the beach for a few days.  She has promised to come back for one more day of cleaning before she heads back to school.  Now that the hard jobs of ladder climbing and floor-level deep cleaning are done, my job is to get as much done as I can in the next few days to ready more projects that she can help me with.

I'm a lucky grandma.  I miss them being little, but I'm reaping the rewards of them being grown!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome. The young with their nimble knees, such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing I urge them to be thankful for and not take for granted! :)

      Delete
  2. A wonderful gift, indeed! I'm so sorry you are having trouble with your knees and shoulders.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails