background

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

What I'm reading Wednesday...

 
The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts (edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.)

Just finished this book that is believed to be the first novel written by a black woman in the U.S.  It is a novelization of her experiences in the antebellum South during her slavery and escape.  (Dr. Gates purchased the manuscript through an auction; the manuscript had been previously owned by a prominent librarian who had researched the authenticity of the manuscript and its author, and Dr. Gates expanded that research after he obtained the manuscript.  He later published it.)

I am now reading:

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

2 comments:

  1. I was updating my Books bookmarks folder and found that I had saved a link to your blog. It is the perfect mix of things I enjoy reading about. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by, Debbie! If you are interested, under the title photo at top of page, there is a link to my Reading List. I list everything I've read, with my rating of each, and a very short description. It goes back for years. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails