background

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

What I'm reading Wednesday...

 

Little Comfort by Edwin Hill

I started this book Tuesday.  The cover looks a lot like my yard (minus the blood trail), and this is south Texas.  I understand from friends that the cold weather we are having this week, along with the problems it has caused, has made the national news.  I wouldn't know; no TV.

All the things that I had planned to get done on the long weekend ground to a screeching halt when our power went out .  No cooking, no baking, no sewing.  And unfortunately no laundry.  Nothing that required electricity.  And since our house is all electric, that meant the heat also ground to a halt.  The temperature has been in the 40s inside our house.  Carey and Rudy and I all just stayed under the covers.   And since we have a water well, for which the pump runs on electricity, we have no water either.  Without the pump running the pipes between water storage tank, pump, and house have frozen underground.

Electricity was out for something like 38 hours.  As of now it is back on, but I am writing this Tuesday night, and from what I understand we are expecting more sleet, snow, and ice tonight, so I would not be surprised if the power goes out again.  As for the water, it could still be days before we know for sure if it will be a major problem.  I am very thankful that Carey was home, so all the preparations were done properly (draining water lines in the house etc before those froze).

I know how easy we have it.  I am sick thinking of people that are homeless, and worried about linemen that have been out working on power lines.

None of us have been able to go to work.  I'm not sure when I will get to go back...going to have to figure out a way to get a bath before then!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really cold in the house! Hope all your water lines thaw without leaks and that the new storm doesn’t reverse progress. And yes there has been lots of national news coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the well has lots of broken pipe, so we will be out for awhile. So many w/ plumbing issues, that we have to get in line for a plumber. Carey usually takes care of it himself, but is opting for the pros for this.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear that you were part of the massive power outage that swept the south. Glad to hear it's back on and hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good with the electricity. Not such good news on the water front. But I got a shower at Kasey's today...yay! If it's not icy I may go to work tomorrow. I think I heard that we have 60% - 70% chance of rain/snow mix all day tomorrow with temps slightly above freezing.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails