background

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The one where we returned from vacation...

 
Watermelon Salad served with Omelette

We've been out of town for a couple of weeks.  We got home this past Saturday. I didn't want to announce to the internet that we would be gone beforehand, so I'm just mentioning it now.

Since we have had our fill of non-home cooking for awhile, and thus took the hit to our wallet, I'm back to cooking, and trying to shop the pantry and freezer rather than the supermarket.  Yesterday I made tuna salad and served it with fresh tomato slices and crackers.  Now that is a cool summer supper!  (I have to add here that several days of our trip we were fed great home cooking by our hostess, and I came home with a new recipe.)

Today we were out of bread and needed milk, so Carey went to the store for those, and I asked him to pick up a watermelon.  For the first 64 years of my life I hated watermelon!  Every few years I would try a bite, because it looks so good, but never could manage more than that bite...until last year.  It is odd how palates change over the years...many, many years.  :)

This afternoon I cut up the melon to have it ready-to-eat in the fridge.  I thought I could make a salad with some of it, so I looked at recipes on the Web, and then adapted them to ingredients I had on hand.  I ended up using watermelon, red onion, cucumber, hominy, and added a dressing with white wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, and Tajin seasoning which has chile and lime flavors.  I strained the watermelon, so it wouldn't be too much liquid, and waited till the omelette was done to toss everything together.

Preparing the omelette gave me a headstart on tomorrow's dinner, as I sauteed extra onion and bell peppers so that I would have some for the quiche I have planned for tomorrow.  You may think that is a lot of eggs to be eating this week.  Well, the friendly POA non-sanctioned chicken wrangler has been getting a bounty of butt nuggets from the hens lately and sent us home with a dozen and a half to add to what were already in our fridge.

On another note, while we were gone, we decided to leave Rudy inside all day giving him the run of the house due to the extreme heats we've been having.  The kids came by several times a day to let him out and feed him and play a little.  Bless him, he didn't get into any boredom mischief!  That was a nice surprise.

Oddly, though we were the ones doing a lot of eating out, he was the one gaining weight.  I walked in to a visibly chunkier dog, and his collar was too tight!  I think he was given more generous servings in our absence!  Well, that and hanging out in the A/C all day instead of his accustomed extended backyard exercise time chasing squirrels and deer. 

It's great to be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails