background

Friday, August 25, 2023

Frugal Friday File 2023, August 25...

Use it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do, or do without.

1.  Sometimes I'm really fed up with the "make it do" part of the old adage above.  Our living room furniture is wearing on my last nerve.  The sofa was one I found on Craigs list over ten years ago.  We bought it because it was in great condition, a neutral and classic style, and, if I remember correctly, because my mother-in-law was coming for an extended visit and our previous sofa was very deep and hard to rise from.  But the shallow seat depth and the very-firm frame makes it not too comfy to curl up on to watch a movie.  It still looks fine, so we continue to 'make do.'

2.  The recliner was given to us by Kasey, because she didn't like the recliner look.  She takes after her mother, because I don't like the look either.  But at the time I was having some surgeries that the recliner made it easier to get comfortable.  Now it has developed a large hole on the back.  I recently resorted to finding a similar shade of duct tape and mended it (if you are familiar with The Red Green Show).  It matched better than I hoped, but it is what it is.  And we continue to 'make do.'

3.  Carey came in this afternoon holding his left hand with a towel to staunch blood.  The man is a walking accident.  He said he had punctured his palm with a screw driver and two of his fingers were numb.  !!!  I was geared up for an ER visit, but he cleaned it thoroughly and irrigated it with hydrogen peroxide.  The feeling is back in his fingers, so ER expense averted.  (Don't worry, he is up to date on his Tetanus shots.)  It is a little alarming to me that the wound transects his life line, but his concern is nil.

4.  Did really well on the home-cooking front this week, and cooking once to eat twice put duplicate meals in the freezer to avert some takeouts in the future.

5.  Reading library books, trying to conserve water in this drought (so well doesn't go dry) & electricity (to try to avoid the power company needing to institute brown outs), and not using much gasoline as we are staying home to avoid the heat.

On the menu this week:

Saturday:  pork chops, squash casserole, green beans --one for Saturday/one for freezer.  (This was supposed to be Friday's supper, but i fell asleep, so had to do something quick that night instead.  Luckily I had added a quick-fix sub to the grocery order.)

Sunday:  Smoked/grilled ribs, potato salad, beans (Kasey's A/C is out, so she brought supper to us that Beau had grilled/smoked)

Monday:  Meatloaf, twice-baked potatoes, leftover squash casserole--one for Monday/one for freezer

Tuesday:  Taco Salad

Wednesday:  Jambalaya 

Thursday:  takeout pizza

Friday:  Beef Stroganoff

2 comments:

  1. That injury sounds really painful! I hear you about old furniture and making do. My list of priorities and wants for the house is helping me keep things on the purchase list without wishful browsing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't complained, and I haven't observed him favoring it or anything.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails