background

Friday, May 31, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 22...

Successes:
1.  The hubs mentioned that he had read all but one book which I had loaded on his Kindle.  I asked if one of them was The Old Man by Thomas Perry, as I had loved it and thought he would enjoy it as well.  Then I remembered that it hadn't been available as an ebook from the library, and he refuses to take hard-copy library books to work with him in case they get lost or damaged.  I thought I might as well check Amazon to just see what the Kindle price was, and I was shocked...shocked I tell you...to find that it was only $1.99.  All other Kindle books by the author were around $10, but the very one I was wishing for was on special.  That.  Never.  Happens.  :)

2.  Wanted a specific shelf from Ikea.  Kasey was planning a trip there, so I had her pick it up for me.  No gas spent.  No impulse purchases.

3.  Emptied the pitcher of cold-brew coffee.  Immediately rinsed it out and refilled with water and coffee and put back in fridge to brew all day and overnight.  Oh, how I love iced coffee...but not enough to buy the massively over-sweetened and over-priced versions for purchase.

4.  Meatloaf and baked potatoes were on the menu, so while the oven was on anyway, I made a HUGE batch of baked potatoes.  After we ate dinner, I got busy with the rest of the potatoes; halving them, scooping out the centers, mashing (with butter, sour cream, minced onion, salt, pepper, garlic, some Hidden Valley Ranch mix, and shredded cheddar cheese) then refilling the jackets with the dressed-up mash.  As I filled the jackets, I placed them back on the baking tray, and once all were filled and topped with more shredded cheese, I covered the whole tray with foil sealing it well, and placed them in the freezer overnight.  Next day I individually vacuum sealed each.  I love knowing I have a large supply of twice-baked potatoes in the freezer to round out future meals...they are a favorite with my guys.  

5.  I was in a neighboring town near my favorite gas station.  Filled up saving 30¢ per gallon from what it is at stations nearer home.

6.  After we finish our supper in the evenings, we take reusable (microwave and dishwasher safe) containers and prepare individual servings of the leftovers to freeze for Carey to take for meals to eat at work.  I am going to start tracking that along with the weekly menu below.  This week I had a very nice number!

Saturday:  Pasta salad w/ chicken, carrots, celery, baby corn, ripe & Spanish olives
Sunday:  Meatloaf, baked potatoes, corn
Monday:  Monday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Tuesday:  King Ranch Casserole, guacamole
Wednesday:  Dublin Coddle
Thursday:  *Taco Bell
Friday:  leftovers

Number of individual servings made and frozen for work lunches this week: 13

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

1 comment:

  1. Meatloaf and potatoes - my favorite meal. I think I'll make meatloaf tomorrow now that you've got me thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails