background

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Last week I said that it was an odd coincidence that the just-previous and current book I was reading were both about fabric mills in 1832.  The coincidence was even greater than I realized.  After I read the first chapter or so of the second book, I realized the murder in each book were both based on the very same actual people and events.  The settings were in different states because a) they occurred very near the border between the two states, and b) the first author took quite a bit or artistic license by moving the murder into the town/state where the mill was located.  While Avery's Knot had some issues toward the end with the majority seemingly straight from court records and very little prose, I did prefer it over The Daring Ladies of Lowell as it seemed the better researched and written of the two.

This week I'm reading...
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage, and Survival by Velma Wallis

This one is starting out very well.  It is based on an Athabascan Indian legend about two old women who were left behind in a harsh season of winter famine and their struggle to survive.

At only 160 pages, it should be a short read.  Not much time for reading this week, as I'm preparing for next week's quilt retreat.

2 comments:

  1. I have had Two Old Women on my bookshelf for years. I remember how much I liked it, so I think I will re-read it this week. Quilt retreat should be fun, or any kind of retreat from this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Two Old Women!

    I will try to remember to be thankful for our warm (80 degrees) and humid (100%) weather. I was just thinking about turning on the AC to dry the air out in the house some.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails