background

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

What I'm reading Wednesday...

After I finished last Wednesday's book about the Punjabi Widows, I read:

The Daring Ladies of Lowell by Kate Alcott

This one is about female mill workers in 1832 Lowell, Massachusetts.  It was recommended by the same friend who recommended the Punjabi Widows book (which I liked), so I borrowed this one in hard back from my library.  It was merely okay.  The subject could have been interesting, but the writing was too simplistic for my taste.  The characters didn't have much depth or complexity.  I actually checked after I finished it to see if it was a YA novel.  It wasn't.

Now I've moved on to:
Avery's Knot by Mary Cable

I purchased this one last month when it was a Kindle Deal of the Day.  It is based on actual people and events in 1832 Rhode Island; the first clergyman to be tried in America for the murder of a woman.   And in an odd coincidence, the woman who was killed was also a mill worker.  Hmmm...1832 women mill workers in both books...I guess I am getting lots of American Industrial Revolution reading in.  I hope I enjoy this one a little better than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails