background

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal

This one was recommended to me by a friend.  In it a young English woman (born of Indian immigrant parents) at risk of losing her bar-tending job, accepts a job at a Sikh temple's community outreach program to teach women creative writing.  Or so she thinks.  At the first class meeting she faces a class full of widows, and she soon realizes that before they can undertake creative writing, she must first teach them to read and write in English.  

It's sort of an about face of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as these, mostly older, Indian women get on with life while living in a culturally secluded pocket in England.  At least that is my impression thus far, as I'm only about a quarter of the way into it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, saw some good reviews o of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read. I loved Exotic Marigold Hotel, have watched it more than once.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails