background

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The kitchen work begins...

This was the kitchen before we moved in.  Love the size.  Love the high ceilings.  Love the fireplace.  The color...not so much.

Shortly after we moved in we painted the whole house a sort of khaki color.  I'm not a fan of dark cabinets, but I was willing to live with their color.  

But for four years, what I continued to struggle with was the work layout.  The island was TOO big, and we removed it last year to re-purpose as cabinets in the garage apartment.

Lots of other things made this the most frustrating kitchen work space I've ever had.

This is the second house where I've had a built-in desk in the kitchen, and I've hated them both as space wasters.  I just pile things on them, and they always look awful and inefficient.


I like the luxury of the double oven, but do you want to know how often I needed to use them both at the same time?  Maybe once...twice?


 Now the desk and the ovens are gone.  

 Along with all the upper cabinets on the left side of the kitchen.  The rest of the deconstruction is going to have to wait till Carey gets back from working out of town.

 Here is my temporary kitchen space in the laundry room.  It worked very well for making most of tonight's dinner.  For now the stove top in the kitchen still works, so I used it to make rice...

...which we topped with Crockpot Creole Chicken and Sausage from Pinch of Yum.  It was easy and really, REALLY good!

I'll be showing more kitchen reno as we make progress.
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. What I wouldn't give for a nice big kitchen...and I only dream of double ovens...grew up with them, and was totally used to working that way...now a single oven is so frustrating. Especially during Christmas baking and Easter preparations! LOL!

    Oh well...happy to have a home and a working kitchen anyway.

    Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    Also wondering if you braved the almond butter in the creole chicken. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My smaller kitchens never gave me fits like this one has. Definitely put together by a non-cook.

    No almond butter used. I thought I would use the most basic recipe the first time and experiment later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is coming along nicely and can't wait to see it finished.I am not a great sewer and am amazed at the quilt it looks fabulous!
    x Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you using a professional kitchen designer or planning it yourself? My kitchen is so small- no pantry. I hate it, but we probably have one more house in our future!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never lost the stove it was moved but never unusable... the sink got hung on a tressle in it's new home and was always there too it was the contents of the cupboards that got stored and are still Missing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dawn. I can't wait to see it finished either! :)

    V, since daughter just completed house building process, they were up on the how-tos. She measured kitchen, then we took those to Home Depot and sat down with a kitchen planner there in store to choose layout, cabinets, etc. I chose almost all lowers to be drawers instead of cabinets…these old knees do not need to be getting down on floors to reach to back of low cabinets!

    Hey, Lynne. My temporary laundry room kitchen is adequate…glad to have it. I need to go do dishes. We are using paper plates and bowls, but silverware, a coffee cup or two, and crockpot liner are easy enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally got to try the Creole chicken and sausage tonight. Boy was it good! I used all the ingredients except the almond butter, because I didn't happen to have any. Served it over brown rice. So good!

    I substituted regular pork & beef sausage 'cause that's what I had, and I didn't have any Creole seasoning either, so I made a homemade batch. It is came out great, and worked well with this recipe. Managed to throw it all together really quickly this morning without even needing a trip to the store for any ingredients. 😀

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails