background

Monday, April 6, 2015

Making it Monday...

Today was our monthly quilting day at the library.  We were working on Double Slice Layer Cake quilts.  I used a Moda pre-cut layer cake, called Mixology, in yellow, gray, turquoise, orange, and white.  The photo above shows the first round of chain piecing, and it gives you an idea of some of the prints.  (I also added in a bit of solid gray fabric as I was finding all the prints a little too chaotic for me.)

We were meant to finish the entire quilt top while there.  However, I had misgivings about completing it as intended, so I stopped when I had all the blocks pieced and brought it home to ruminate over.

This photo shows several pieced blocks placed side by side, and I think it is a little too busy to suit me.  I'm considering putting white sashing, or plain white blocks, between the pieced blocks.

Opinions?  Ideas?
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I think white sashing would look lovely. Some people have a knack for making busy quilts look fabulous but I am like you and need to break them up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! I was hoping you were not in the full grip of the crud. I don't know anything about quilting but I do think that adding a bit of white would be nice. I love quilts - admiring them from afar is one of my favorite pasttimes. When we were traveling through Western New York, we stopped at an Amish farmstore - oh my goodness, what amazing quilts and all made by hand or on a treadle sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a quilter either and I definitely would have a tough time with all these prints ... I might add a pale grey sashing if the majority of colours are not white,... otherwise white may be a bit stark/loud ?
    bravo, tho' for being a quilter ... I admire the 'spunk' of quilters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cath! I tend to really lean toward simple, traditional patterns. I really thought I could step out of my comfort zone a little with this, but when it came down to it, I really didn't think I would like it, and it seemed like a waste of good fabric and work if I wasn't going to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Pamela! Thanks for thinking of me. I’m all better. My daughter who came down with it at the same time is still coughing. I’m not sure what has been keeping me from the blog.

    Thanks for your thoughts on the quilt too. It would be so fun to travel through Amish country; bet y’all had a great time. I have been keeping up with your A-Z, but mostly by my phone which is harder to comment from. Fun and beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sharron, for your idea! I think I will lay it out with scraps of each and see which one looks more pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails