background

Friday, September 22, 2023

Not Very Frugal Friday File 2023, September 22...

1.  Care package to college student.  Contents of nominal value:  snack crackers, sharpie, highlighter tape, a funny pin "Math: the only class that counts" (she's taking Calculus this semester), a pack of gum, a handmade card.  Postage expense:  $$$

     I saved a box that I had received something in a couple of months ago, because it was sturdy, without exterior printing, and of a size that was handy for mailing a gift (somewhat shoebox size, but not as long); it was perfect for mailing this care package.  I found an airtight storage container in my cupboard that exactly fit the box and held most of the batch of snack crackers I made on the weekend, and had enough room to slide in the other contents around the edges.  Two sheets of reused tissue paper were all the padding necessary.

2.  I have a rule about no ordering online between the hours of midnight and 8:00 a.m.  It works most of the time.  Earlier this week I woke up about 3:00 a.m. and decided it was time to order two chairs for the living room that I have been online researching recently.  Of course, I hadn't known that I was going to click "BUY" so I hadn't discussed it with Carey...I had a few ruffled feathers to smooth when I broke it to him when he woke up...and rightly so.  Ruffled feathers were quickly smoothed.  The chairs arrived within two days with free shipping, and Carey has one of them put together.  💕  (I felt okay about ordering without doing an in-person comfort test, because my sister-in-law has this same chair, and I fell in love with its style and comfort when we were there recently.  And with research I found them for 1/3 of the price the store sis purchased at advertises.)  

3.  I'd been holding off on depositing checks until I had other errands in the area of the credit union.  Sunday I received email that a book I had reserved at the library was ready to be picked up, right nextdoor to the credit union.  I immediately ordered prescription refills so I could pick those up in the same trip. And I ran across the street to Home Depot to pick up some magnetic sheets I needed.    I felt so good getting all those done in less than an hour and in just one trip!  It's 14 miles roundtrip to that part of town, so I like to batch errands.

4.  So much running around for medical appointments this week.  Monday had to go to neighboring town for a doctor appointment after a blood vessel burst in my eye.  Doesn't hurt, but looks pretty gross.  Just had to verify that it wouldn't risk procedure later in week.

     Wednesday had to go have pre-op bloodwork done.

     Thursday my portacath was replaced in outpatient surgery.  Ouch.

5.  I have four meals in the freezer from one-meal-to-eat/one-meal-to-freeze cooking in the last couple of weeks.  It will be appreciated by my sore-incision self in the next few days.


On the menu this week:

Saturday:  Roast, Potatoes, Carrots (2nd in freezer)

Sunday:  Sunday supper at Kasey & Beau's

Monday:  *Takeout burgers

Tuesday:  Mexican Cornbread Casserole (2nd in freezer)

Wednesday:  Ruben sandwiches

Thursday:  *Takeout

Friday:  Homecooked meal from the freezer

4 comments:

  1. Isn't postage a killer? It just goes up and up and up. LOL, of all the times I've woken up at 3am, I haven't thought to sit down and do a little online shopping! Must beware of that now. I'd love to see a photo of your chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well to plan ahead to take it easy when you needed to. Get getter soon!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails