background

Friday, December 27, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 52...

Successes:
1.  Carey & I were going to a place that has a Little Free Library out front.  Before leaving home, I picked up a paperback that I had finished recently so I would have something to trade, and I found a humor book to bring home with us by Dave Barry that I thought Carey would like.

2.  While I wouldn't say our Christmas was especially frugal, I did find ways to make some frugal and personal items part of the gift giving.  I already shared the Snack Cracker Mix recipe, and I'll share the Pancake Mix recipe in a day or two.  And everything was packaged in containers I had around the house and wrapped with paper and ribbon on hand.

3.  Carey and I agreed that neither of us could think of a thing that we wanted, and definitely didn't need anything, for Christmas.  So we gave each other the best gift of all:  a break from obligation shopping.  (Now, this may not seem like a gift at all to you, but for us...this year...it was!)

4.  Carey hadn't checked the car out for awhile, so he gave it a once over, and was shocked and euphoric at how few miles have been put on it since we returned from our vacation.  Short commute for the win again!  That, and I'm too tired to go anywhere after work, and the weekends are just for catching up with laundry and chores.  :)

5.  Pinterest.  I can find free recipes, ideas, patterns, and tutorials for almost anything I can think of and then some.  I no longer keep binders with top-loading page protectors holding cut-out magazine pages.  I don't buy cookbooks.  I no longer subscribe to magazines and keep piles of them around the house for years (and years and years).  

Saturday:  *burgers
Sunday:  *Popo's
Monday:  roast, potatoes, carrots
Tuesday: Christmas supper at Kasey & Beau's 
Wednesday:  sandwiches
Thursday:  salad
Friday: Spanish Rice

Number of individual servings made and frozen for work lunches this week:  5

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

5 comments:

  1. I love the "break from obligation shopping" statement. Although I have to admit I had a momentary twinge on Christmas morning when there was nothing for me to open, I soon got over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I felt a little twinge of guilt, but I figured if I really wasn’t disappointed, he surely wasn’t either. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of Pinterest for saving some $. I do have a few boards but haven't added anything to them for ages. I really should make more use of it because I'm forever finding ideas and things I want to make and then forgetting which website or blog I found them on! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Meg, I don't know how I lived without it! LOL My suggestion is to have more detailed boards like RECIPES MAIN DISH, RECIPES DESSERTS, RECIPES SIDE DISHES; that way I don't get overwhelmed by having to weed through tons of ALL kinds of recipes when I'm ready to make one I remember pinning.

      Delete
  3. I laughed at the no more binders. I was thinking of how I missed them and magazines just the other day. I kept all kinds of information for so many years. Some memories are sweet even when no longer useful.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails