background

Monday, December 16, 2013

Not so thrifty thrift stores...

The Non-Consumer Advocate  frequently posts under the title Goodwill, Badwill, Questionable-will which is always very entertaining, and shows the good, the bad, and the butt-ugly things that she finds at Goodwill thrift stores.

Since there is a Goodwill store in the shopping center where my office is located, I periodically pop in.  I'm never so much amused as stunned by the unbelievable prices they put on things. 

Exhibit A: this pretty little green bottle.  Tip to base it was maybe 10 inches high.  $15.99!



Exhibit B:  These little brown bottles used to contain snuff.   I live in Texas...if not THE location of the highest usage of smokeless tobacco per capita, then it is certainly way up there.  In his younger days, my husband dipped this particular brand of snuff.  We had tons of these little bottles...in the kitchen window with wildflowers in them...at my mother's house where she was sure she would find a good use for them...in the trash (pre-recycling days).  I nearly choked when I saw these priced at $4.99...EACH!  I could have had a nice little nest egg had I been able to sell all the ones that passed through our house for that.

I left empty handed again today.  I just don't understand the business sense of overpricing at thrift stores.  You would think that they would have more turnover if they priced items to sell...they did receive all their merchandise as free donations after all. 
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. You should see the prices at our thrift stores here in Australia. Not really a bargain hunt.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Goodwill here where I live and I have always wondered who does the pricing as things are pretty high. I usually wait for dollar days to go to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Goodwill stores in Michigan are very pricey. Others can be too at times, funny thing is I find the best buys at Value World, which buys from local charities and re-sells. Still love to go look anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails