background

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Kitchen reorganization continues...

A few days ago I said I would try to live with this cupboard for awhile.  However, I decided to move the canned goods to the pantry.  I liked having them near the stove (as they have been for the last few years), because it was nice to have frequently used ingredients close at hand when cooking.  But I will get used to the change.

Once I moved them to the pantry, I realized it made room for the cooking oils to move from the lazy Susan on the counter to the newly spacious cabinet.  

Above photo is the pantry Friday afternoon.  I forgot, as usual, to take a photo before I started.  I didn't even sit down after getting home from work.  I started straight in emptying everything from the pantry (except for the jars on the top shelf), and wiping down and sweeping it out to be ready to start reloading on Saturday.

I ordered the hanging shelf for the door last week.  I put it together (easy) and hung it first thing Saturday morning.  It said to wait 24 hours before filling baskets, as it has sticky pads to help secure it to the door that I guess needed some curing before putting any strain on them.  Really I think they just keep the shelves from swinging outward when the door is opened or closed.  Since I wasn't planning on having heavy items on the door, I gave it about 8 hours, while I began reorganizing the pantry interior shelves.

One white bin on the floor is for soiled kitchen towels and fabric napkins awaiting laundering.  The other bin is to contain bags of potatoes.  Everything else is pretty much where it was before, just better contained and labeled to try to prevent 'us' from just jamming things in willy nilly.

The door shelves have powdered milk, drink powders, seasoning packets, different sizes of ziplock bags, cloth napkins, peanut butter and jams (the heaviest things on door), and crackers.  Oh, I also have a cylinder bag clipped to the shelf unit on the right that holds plastic grocery bags that we reuse for small wastebasket liners.

Carey was visiting with his mom this weekend, so it was a good time to have the kitchen torn apart and then put back together.  There is still lots to do, but these are the ones that turned things upside down for awhile.  Now Carey can make his coffee in the morning without having a mess to work around.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful pantry to have! Our new house doesn’t have one so that has been an adjustment and the cupboards already could use reorganizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very glad to have it. I've lived in more houses without pantries than with. It can be a challenge.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails