background

Friday, May 19, 2023

The Frugal Friday File (Part II - Retirement)...

 

Welcome back Frugal Friday File, I need the accountability!

1.  My Social Security benefits begin this month, but that means that I won't get my first check till next month.  Trying to keep expenses in hand while we see how things will shake out with income versus outgo.  I have accepted one day of filling in at the other branch here in town that I agreed to help out in occassionally.  I know exactly how much I can make this year without getting overcompensated and in trouble with benefits.

2.  Cooking was mostly a pleasure this week.  We did have take out last night as I have had a terrible cough since Monday, and was very fatigued with a raw throat yesterday.  (Negative for Covid.)  When I feel that way I have a yearning for hot and sour soup from our local Chinese restaurant.  Carey's meal wasn't a deal, but my large container of soup was only $5.  I seem to have turned the corner today with the cough, so I'm sticking with hot & sour soup as my go-to remedy.  :)

3.  My boss gave me a generous Kindle gift card in honor of my retirement.  We have had such great book discussions over the years.  I have tried to talk him into just giving ebooks a try himself with no success.  He prefers hard cover books, but he knows I prefer ebooks these days, so it was a thoughtful and welcome gift.  I have decided exactly which books I want, but haven't purchased yet. 

Then today I got a notice that I have Kindle points that will expire on June 1, so I made sure to go to Kindle and arrange for them to be used on my next Kindle ebook purchase.  That will be a savings of $6.

4.  Taxes were filed last month, and we received a decent refund this month.  That was very welcome in this period between end of payroll checks and beginning of Social Security benefits.

5.  Carey did car maintenance on my car.  SO thankful he has this skill and the motivation to use it.

This week's meals:
  Saturday: Waffles, bacon, eggs, orange juice
  Sunday:  Family dinner at Kasey & Beau's 
  Monday:  * takeout
  Tuesday: baked chicken breast, Parmesan orzo
  Wednesday:  Left-over orzo w/ roasted vegetable and diced cooked chicken
  Thursday:  *Chinese takeout
  Friday:  Chicken chili
(* not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are really on top of the details of SS and making it all work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better. Crazy that these days we always have to add "negative for COVID" after any mention of a sniffle, cough, or sore throat. I suppose it will always be with us!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails