background

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Back in the kitchen...

Milk Street: Cookish: Throw It Together by Christopher Kimball

I cooked very little while I was working full time.  We started a meal subscription service very early on; those came fully prepared, and only needed heating up.  We were very glad to have that during the pandemic as it cut down drastically on the need for grocery shopping, but it did get boring

I was really looking forward to getting back in the kitchen upon retirement, but after four years of limited kitchen time, I've lost my mojo!  Last week while I was at the library for quilting, I picked up cookbooks to get my mind back in the game of meal planning and preparation.  One of the books I wanted wasn't available, so I had to put it on reserve.  I was notified today that it was ready for checkout.  I think it is my favorite so far.  Milk Street: Cookish: Throw It Together by Christopher Kimball.

This book is a great reminder that this is the way I like to cook.  Especially right now when I'm trying to empty the freezer and pantry of things that got bought but never cooked.  Start with what you have, and think of ways to put it together to make it taste good.  

This afternoon I found a package of boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.  After thawing, I baked the whole package so I would have the protein dish for tonight and cooked chicken to start meals with for the next few days.  I also found a package of orzo in the pantry; after cooking I added sliced ripe olives, leftover cooked bacon (crumbled) and made a dressing of olive oil, spices, and parmesan cheese.

Tomorrow I think I will roast some vegetables.  Tonight's orzo will be a great base for Buddha bowls with the diced, cooked chicken, and the addition of the roasted vegetables.

It feels like I'm getting back on track.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds to me like you never lost your mojo! I’m off to see if my library has that book as we tend to cook that way too but do get in a rut anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails