background

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Sunday roast...

 

A month or so ago, my first grandson (not to be confused with my oldest grandson) said that he had made chicken and dumplings, and was very happy with the result.  (Oh the shock of realizing that my sweet little baby was old enough to live on his own and cook real meals for himself!)  We were talking about dumpling recipes, and how I had to try a lot of recipes before I found one that worked every time.  He asked me to share that one with him, so I made him a recipe card of it to pop in the mail.  


Of course I had to decorate the card.  I think the original recipe came from a Better Homes & Garden cookbook that had a red gingham cover, so I used that as the card background.  And yes I know that he may have preferred a digital copy of the recipe, but maybe this will be a keepsake.

I like dumplings, not only with chicken, but also with a roast beef.  I've been hungry for beef and dumplings ever since I sent him the recipe, so I added a roast to the grocery order this week, and put it in the slow cooker today.  After it cooked all afternoon, I removed the roast and carrots from the pot, and added the dumplings to cook.

It was exactly as yummy as I hoped for.  I texted him this photo with a note that dumplings are not only for chicken.  

The cooler temps that we enjoyed earlier this week also made me want oatmeal in the morning.  So today I made a batch of Oatmeal To Go.  Nice to have that done to take to work with me.

Speaking of work... Last week I worked from home a couple of days.  Carey came home from work a little early due to a co-worker testing positive for Covid.  Carey's brother, who works with him too has now tested positive, and his wife is now symptomatic too.  Carey is feeling fine, but he is going to be tested just to make sure he isn't positive and asymptomatic.  After his test results, my boss and I will decide if I should continue to work from home for awhile.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Carey's brother and wife, hope they have mild COVID cases, and hoping for a negative test for Carey. Your roast dinner looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had to drive back to work location for the test, but worth it be able to get the test and the result today. So good to hear the negative result. It has been hard distancing in the same house!

      Delete
  2. Hoping Carey's test comes back negative and his brother and coworker recover easily. Your beef and dumplings look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very relieved that his test result was negative! Yay! I'm worried about brother- and sister-in-law, but b-i-l calls or texts Carey every couple of days. I haven't heard any news about the other co-worker.

      Delete
  3. I am going to put a big note on my to-do list to make that oatmeal and have it handy. I like the idea of the paper cups for use at the office. So much more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is convenient, Barbara! And takes hardly any time to make. If you want to store it in a big jar instead of cups, in the morning just put 2/3 cup of the mix in a bowl or mug, and add 1/2 c or so of boiling water. But that reminds me! I need to order more of those lidded cups to transport/store it in at work.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite breakfast in a cup is granola with vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit on top. Takes only a couple minutes to make and is a healthy breakfast as well.

    Love your blog. Have read a lot of the books you recommend.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails