background

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Pearl: Lost Girl of White Oak Mountain, A True Story by Bill Yates

This was short and sad.  A three year old went missing from her home in Arkansas in 1923.  Her parents were sharecroppers.  The story got picked up by the Associated Press and became known across the country.  Spoiler alert: the little girl on the book cover isn't even the missing child, but one of the false leads that lifted the hopes of lawmen and family members.


I'm about to start... 

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides

In the late 1800s the public became excited by the notion of reaching the uncharted North Pole.  A naval expedition was funded by the a wealthy newspaperman.  The wooden ship became trapped in ice and was eventually crushed; the crew escaped with minimal supplies and started walking.

1 comment:

  1. I put the Kingdom of Ice on hold at the library. That kind of stuff scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails