background

Friday, January 8, 2021

The Frugal Friday File 2021, week 1...

 Bringing back the Frugal Friday File.  It feels like I've been letting some of my frugal habits slip, so thought it was time to get back some accountability.


Successes:
1.  I've been enjoying my oatmeal to-go which means that I haven't been stopping at McDonald's for their oatmeal.  That will add up.

2.  I sat down with a monthly budget sheet and made sure that every expenditure got included;  annual property taxes, insurance premiums, hoa fees, etc. got broken down from their annual total to exactly how much needs to be set aside each month to fully fund them at the end of the year.  I rounded up all the online subscriptions that I let auto renew and therefore forget about how much they add up to; I cancelled one that I wasn't using.

3.  I saved a jacket.  I had made the mistake of wearing a light colored jacket on a day I had to have a pint of blood drawn.  There was a little mishap with the valve on the vacuum bottle, and blood started splashing around and making a real mess.  When I got home I sprayed the jacket with stain remover and left it in the laundry pile.  I figured it was a lost cause, so I wasn't in a hurry to get to it.  Two weeks later it finally got washed, and the blood is gone...for my purposes...probably not for a crime scene investigator.  :)

4.  I've foregone a haircut way past needing one.  Trying to let it grow so that we can change up the style a bit.

5.  I cashed in my reward points on my credit card for Amazon gift cards.  


6 comments:

  1. How great that the stain came out. And good for you for donating blood. Makes me wonder how they are collecting blood here during our lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I wasn't doing anything nearly as altruistic as donating blood. Too much iron gets stored in my organs which can cause damage, so I periodically have to have a pint or so removed which drops the iron to safe levels. Tragically they have to throw all that blood away!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good run of frugal living. I've been a little slack lately. Time to get organized again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Barbara! I'm hardly leaving the house, and yet I think I've been spending more money than pre-Covid. Ugh I had to bring back my Friday posts!

      Delete
  3. Great job avoiding McDonalds! I love making my own oatmeal at home - plus, you can buy oats for so cheap in the bulk bins!
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a no-spend January. It was going really well until I overslept, had to drive to work, and pay $11.00 for parking. Grrr, really messed up my month!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails