background

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Special price on my favorite book of last year...

The Widow's War by Sally Gunning

In my 2016 highlights post, I listed Sally Gunning's The Widow's War as the best book I read last year.  I see that the Kindle version is on sale for 99¢ at present.  I don't know how long that price will last, so I just wanted to mention it if anyone might be interested.

In 1761 Cape Cod, a happily-married wife loses her husband in a whale hunt.  The inheritance laws drastically alter her life, and she struggles against the family members, laws, and community that steal the home, autonomy, and reputation that she enjoyed before her husband's death.

It was really eye opening for me.  I think I really identified with the main character since her husband (like mine) was away from home for much of their marriage and she dealt with the responsibilities and independence with the blessing of her community.  But when her husband is lost, so is her entire way of life.  I loved how she sought out ways to maintain her autonomy and needled those who sought to make her conform.

This is yet another reason I am happy to be living in the time that I am.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth checking out, everyone! Worth far more than $0.99! Read it last week, at your recommendation, Kath. A great read, and yes, makes one grateful to be living in present times.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails