background

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Sunday dessert, Orange Cake...



I browsed Pinterest last night looking for a dessert recipe for which I had the ingredients on hand.  I followed this recipe for the cake...super easy.  I was going to bake round layers, but at the last minute I opted for an oblong...so much easier to transport when still in the pan.

I didn't have all the frosting ingredients on hand, so I improvised.

My frosting included:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate (do not reconstitute)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons milk or cream (optional)
zest from one orange (reserve 1 tsp)


  • Blend the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth.  
  • Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. 
  • Add orange juice concentrate 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition and tasting...stop adding oj when the flavor is to your liking.
  • You may add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of milk or cream to make a less stiff consistency if you wish.
  • Beat at medium high speed until smooth. 
  • Remove from mixer, and add the orange zest to the frosting (reserving a teaspoon or so to garnish the top later), and gently stir by hand to incorporate the zest throughout the frosting.


Once the cake is cooled completely, spread the frosting over it evenly.  Press the reserved orange zest between two layers of paper towels to remove any excess moisture.  With your fingertips, sprinkle the reserved zest over the frosted cake.

My frosting turned out very tart...hence the advice about tasting between adding more orange juice concentrate.  Carey and I really liked it, but it had mixed reviews with the rest of the family.  More yeas than nays, though, which is a success with that bunch.  :)
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I find the flavour of orange or lemon very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Linda! Glad I got one more in before the end of summer. My punkin’-lovin’ grandson reminded me that it’s almost time for pumpkin desserts again.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I usually leave the dessert leftovers for the kids, but we brought this one home. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been enjoying your frugality posts. I also like cake, especially orange or lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy! I wish I could bring you a piece of cake!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails