background

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday dessert for the family...

My mother used to make pound cakes often:  plain, chocolate, coconut.  I decided to do a pound cake for family Sunday dinner this week.  I have several boxes of cream cheese in the fridge that need to be used, so I decided to look for a pound cake recipe that I could use some of it in.  I found Southern Living's Cream Cheese Pound Cake.

I started by creaming the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in my beautiful jadeite mixing bowl...a precious gift from a precious friend.  I mostly took this photo, because I knew it would make her happy to see me using it.  

When I was looking for the vanilla extract, I noticed the coconut extract.  And I knew I had part of a bag of coconut left in the fridge that needed to be used, so my cake turned into a cream cheese and coconut pound cake by changing the 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract into 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract +1 teaspoon coconut extract, and then at the very end I folded in about a half cup of flake coconut.


Is there anything prettier than a bundt cake fresh out of the oven.  To me it says mama...especially since this one was made in her bundt pan.

It didn't really need a glaze, but this Coconut Glaze from Martha Stewart looked so easy, that I thought, why not.  It only called for powdered sugar and coconut milk, but I added a tiny bit of coconut extract as well.

And here she is...pretty enough to eat and pretty darn yummy.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds SOOO yummy... you're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing, Kathleen - I am in awe of anyone who can bake like that - my attempts are just shocking!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails