background

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Two books that I've been on the waiting list for at the library became available last week.  I wasn't sure I could invest that much reading time (the ebooks have shorter check-out periods than paper books), but I downloaded them both and put my planned reading on the back burner (again).
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

I really, really enjoyed this one.  It wasn't the most upbeat story line, but the writing was excellent, the characters likable, and I laughed out loud many times (oh the chapter of the author reading at the bookstore!)  One review I read mentioned that it was similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society...I remember really liking that book as well, but I don't think they are at all similar.



The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

When I started this one, I wasn't sure I could take another story of troubled teen in the foster care system.  Oh am I glad I stuck it out.  I wasn't far into it when I was hooked and read it through in a couple of marathon readings.  I've read some reviews in which the reader found the main character too unlikable, and couldn't see why supporting characters were so attached to her.  I found the main character believable.  Flawed?  Yes.  She almost lost me a couple of times, but I found her detachment believable considering the background.  I guess it's a matter of taste or maybe even mood.

I feel like I won the reading lottery this week with two I really liked in a row!

Now I'll try to get back to my list.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I just got back from the library, my audio book for THE GOLDFINCH just came in and I have it for 3 weeks and it is 26 CDs. I am so glad you liked A. J. Fikrey and I also read the Language of Flowers this year. I just returned the best book I have read this year, Too Much Pretty. It wouldn't be for everyone, but I bet you would like it too. It's so nice to have reading friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Language of Flowers sounds interesting - I'm going to add it to my ever-growing Amazon wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails