background

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What I'm reading Wednesday...

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

I just finished The Good Girl.  After Peggy at A Primitive Plot mentioned it on her blog last month, I found that it was available as an ebook from my library's website, so I put myself on the reserve list.  I did enjoy it, but I had some issues with it also.  The chapters were in the voice of three different characters...four if you count the last chapter which was in the voice of the title character.  The chapters were further divided into past and present tense...ie: Eve Before, Colin Before, Gabe After, Colin Before...you get the drift.  Took me awhile to get used to it, and I really don't like reading this kind of story structure on my Kindle where I can't easily flip through twenty or thirty or a hundred pages to remind myself of relevant details.  The surprise at the end was satisfying even though it felt a bit rushed.

After I finished the book, I read some of the reviews by others who had read it to see what they thought of it.  Some of the negatives that were mentioned I have to agree with, but won't go into them as they might be spoilers...and the details weren't major enough to ruin the story for me.  Mostly it had really good reviews.



Next up is one from my 2014 Goals list.  I haven't decided if I will go with Love in the Time of Cholera or The Hobbit.  I'll decide when I crawl into bed tonight.  I was hoping to get them from the library, but never seemed to catch them on the shelf and they weren't available as ebooks, so I made a run over to Half Price Books this afternoon and found what I needed...and a few more to boot.  :)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This one's on my wishlist - sounds interesting, but I think after reading your review, I'm going to order it in proper book form from the library, rather than a kindle read.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails