background

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Salad days are here again...

I do believe that Carey is enjoying my unemployment.  It means I have more time and energy and desire to cook at home.  He usually does the clean up after dinner (though I clean as I go, so there isn't a terrible mess left as a rule).  Every night this week, as he was cleaning up, he happily announced that he had another meal packed to take to work.  They have a cook at work, but he prefers to take leftovers from home.  That makes me smile.  :)

A couple of days ago, I found a recipe for Greek Tortellini Salad at Two Peas and Their Pod that looked so good.  I had most everything, but I picked up some tortellini and olives while I was out yesterday.  
Don't these gorgeous vegetables make your mouth water?  Yummmmm.

GREEK TORTELLINI SALAD

Ingredients for Salad:
1 (20 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 large cucumber, chopped
1 cup kalamata olives, pit removed and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Ingredients for the Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Drain the tortellini and rinse with cold water.

2. Place the tortellini in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, red onion, and feta cheese.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until salad is well coated. Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator.

Note-this salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.

This recipe is directly from Two Peas and Their Pod.  I deviated from the original recipe just a tiny bit.  I doubled the recipe, because I wanted leftovers for home and for Carey to take to work.  I added cooked chicken breast, because I had some ready in the fridge and because the guys like some meat in their pasta salads.  I also increased the minced garlic in the dressing...I was out of extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar, so I had to use light olive oil and apple cider vinegar, so I thought the extra garlic might up the flavor a little.
Oh my!  It is ready and in the fridge waiting for tonight's supper.  I can't wait!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Love fresh veggies. I have an olive addiction too. Lovely dish x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a meal in a bowl! I can see my kids tucking into that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely. I've bookmarked it to cook soon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails