background

Friday, October 11, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 41...

Successes:
1.  I purchased one souvenir on the entire trip...for a total cost of $1.01...at Niagara Falls.  Yes, one dollar and one cent.  LOL  I put four quarters and a penny into one of those machines that press and elongate a penny while stamping an image into it.  It took up no space on journey, and I didn't have to worry about it breaking.  I think this will be my go-to souvenir in the future, and I can start a penny charm bracelet or necklace.  Since returning home, I have found a website that indicates machine locations, so that as I plan vacations, I can be sure to find a souvenir press.

2.  I also came home with other treasures gifted by friends and family along the way.  My friend, the other Kathleen, has been downsizing while moving to a smaller house.  We stopped by to see her new house, and she gifted me with quite a few silver-plated (?) trays, which I have been collecting to make a wall display.  And several months ago Carey's sister offered us a quilt that was made by their grandmother (circa 1930), so we stopped at her house on our way home for a visit and to pick up the quilt.  Coincidentally Carey's sister and her husband are heading to Niagara Falls next week.

3.  Looking at the charges, it seems we came in under our planned vacation budget.  We did decide to come home 2 to 3 days early, as I wanted to have some downtime for laundry, etc, before I had to work again, so that cut costs.  Leftover savings will stay in the account and be built on for next trip.

4.  Carey and Jared worked on our water-well storage tank today.  It has had a leak for awhile, and the patch they tried previously seems to not be doing the job.  How is this frugal?  They know enough, and are able, to try fixes before calling for repair or replacement.  Carey is at the point that he is going to have to call for professional help  (professional storage-tank help, not the kind of professional help you may have been thinking of, LOL), but he knows the right questions to ask when he calls without getting the runaround. 

5.  I'm working today...and for the rest of the month.

Saturday:  *road eats
Sunday:  *road eats
Monday:  *road eats
Tuesday:  *barbecue
Wednesday:  Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken w/ Broccoli
Thursday:  *Tex-Mex
Friday:  leftovers

Number of individual servings made and frozen for work lunches this week:  1
There are quite a few meals stockpiled for him to take to work, so Carey asked me to stop preparing freezer meals for awhile so he can use what is there and defrost the freezer he stores them in.

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

1 comment:

  1. The Penny charm bracelet is an excellent idea and like you said doesn't take up much room or money. I think that is a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails