background

Sunday, April 3, 2022

I'm an April fool...

Friday.  April 1, 2022.  12:28 p.m. CDT.  

I was on my lunch hour.  I ran by the library to pick up a book I had reserved.  I have entered and exited the library hundreds of times.  But this time as I was exiting I looked away for just a second.  My front passenger-side tire hit the curb and went over, and my undercarriage high centered on the curb.  You may or may not be able to tell from the photo that the driveway has a fairly steep angle of descent.

I was stuck but good!  I phoned Carey, and proceeded to wait.  

The library is a busy place, as is the Home Depot store whose driveway sits directly opposite the library drive.  Every single person entering and exiting the library rolled down their window to inquire if I needed assistance, as did numerous Home Depot customers.  The first fourteen times were very welcome.  The next twenty-two times were pretty embarrassing.  But the last hundred and thirteen times were just downright humiliating.  

Once Carey arrived and looked over the situation, we called AAA to ask for a tow truck.  Several hours and multiple calls later, I told them I would be calling for my own tow truck and submitting the bill for reimbursement.  Finally a tow-truck arrived, and the driver and Carey were able to fairly quickly get all four tires back on the ground, and after a quick once over I was amazingly able to drive it home!  All told, we were there for around five hours.  I never did make it back to work.

Carey gave it a closer examination once we were home, and he said that aside from a few small scratches to the under carriage, everything looked fine.

I am amazed and SO thankful!

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that so many people inquired if you needed help, but it can get embarrassing and annoying after awhile. Been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky. I've had really good luck with my AAA card as there is apparently a garage near me they use. I've gotten fast service and you really need it when you're stressed out about your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had AAA coverage for 10 years or so, and this is the 3rd time I've had to call them. The first 2 times were fairly quick and easy. This time was pretty horrible, and if I had been waiting for 5 hours by myself at night, instead of with Carey in broad daylight, I would have been really stressed.

      Delete
  3. All's well that ends well, but I can identify with the embarrassment part. I once got my back fend caught on a parking lot pole and couldn't move.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails