background

Friday, February 11, 2022

The Frugal Friday File 2022, week 6...

1.  Still trying to shop the pantry and freezer.  This week I made a thrown-together soup that used up leftover chicken fajita meat, a block of cream cheese with a rapidly approaching use-by date, a partial bag of frozen corn, a package of corn tortillas that have been in the fridge for...awhile, and some cream of chicken soup along with some spices and chicken broth.  I really wanted to add a can of green chiles, but didn't have any on hand, and Carey doesn't like them anyway.  He liked the soup.  I liked it okay, but I liked preventing food waste more.

2.  I've kept a close eye on my credit card, and when the fraudulent charges made last week went out of 'pending' and actually posted to my account, I phoned the credit card company to begin the dispute process.

3.  I emailed a vendor to report a damaged product that was delivered and very promptly received a refund.

4.  I mended a pair of jeans for my granddaughter.  

This was a kind of tricky job, as part of the rip extended into the pocket.  I succeeded in securely repairing the hole while not obstructing access to the pocket.  

Oddly, I love mending jeans.  When my kids were little, they came to me daily with requests for help, or to have me fix, so many things.  These days mending and hemming are thankfully still in the rapidly shrinking, "Mom, can you..." category.  While my hands are working the fabric, my mind is on the innumerable times I patched the knees of Jared's little jeans back when he was forever wearing them out playing with hot wheels and dinosaurs...on all of the dresses and costumes I've stiched together over the decades...and on all the happy times spent with my sewing and quilting mentor who taught me how to mend things so that the patch lasts.

5.  I made and mailed four cards this week, and I tried to include selections from my scrap pile of paper on each one.

  

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the mending. I keep thinking jeans are hard to mend but have a pair that may need a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it's easier on parts of the garment you have room to maneuver on the machine, but even doable on the legs using a forward and reverse stitching rather than trying to move the fabric excessively.

      I adhere an iron-on patch to the wrong side of the garment fabric. Then use matching thread and a stretch stich (looks like a zig-zag except that each zig and zag is made up of several straight stitches -- it's a pretty basic stitch on machines) to sew over the exterior of the area needing patching, sewing right over the hole or tear, and making sure to catch all the edges of the patch so they don't curl up during multiple washes. It's sort of like darning the fabric.

      Delete
  2. I haven't mended or sewn since before I had my cataract surgery. I gave up on it since I couldn't see to thread a needle. It's surprising that I haven't picked it up again since I loved needlework so much. If I'm lucky maybe the urge will hit me again.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails