1. My regularly-used sewing machine was my mother's before me. It's not real pretty, and it can't do fancy things. I have taken a little ribbing for it among some friends, but that's okay with me. Theirs cost more than my first car did. Mine is an old friend, I know its quirks, and it can do everything I need it to.
2. Carey's favorite sandwich franchise opened a shop nearby. Grandson's hired! :) The day before they opened for paying customers, they had a practice-run day. Free dinner!
3. Carey is taking some vacation time. As usual it is a stay-cation for us. Lots of things to take care of around the house and yard, somewhat long-distance errands to run, a day trip to visit mom-in-law, and he is having a few days with his brothers at their hunting lease. Maybe later in the year we will use more vacation time to travel, but this one will be filed under frugal.
4. Today I had to pick up some materials for a project that has to be completed within the next week. Serendipitously, Michael's had some good coupons/sales that helped me out...50% off coupon for an item that wasn't on sale...some quilting WIP storage boxes on sale for 60% off...and 15% off coupon for entire order including sale items. I also had to have a scan/copy done at Office Depot on their giant blueprint machine for the project so I took advantage of their buy one/get one 40% off ink for my home printer (mine ran out last weekend)...kind of a big chunk to make at one time, but next time I run out, I'll be glad I have refills at the ready.
5. My phone is still hanging in.
Keep Tryings: Our two-year-old dishwasher has to be replaced. Carey ordered an expensive part...put it on...didn't correct the problem. Called an appliance repairman...he came out...told us what part it needed, but that it would probably be a recurring problem as the dryer fan blows steam right into the electronic control board...electronics do not like steam. Checked on the price of the correct part, and it was also very expensive, and we decided not to throw good money after bad. We will begin looking for a new dishwasher next week, keeping the mechanical design in mind. Sadly, when we were buying the now broken one, we did a lot of research and this one had a very high rating with Consumer Reports, so how do you know how to make a good choice? :(
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: oven-fried chicken, buttered potatoes, green beans
Sunday: Sunday Family Dinner at Kasey's - crawfish boil
Monday: Honey Garlic Chicken with Broccoli
Tuesday: *lunch out with mother-in-law, sandwiches for supper
Wednesday: free Schlotzky sandwiches
Friday: sweet & sour meatballs and rice
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)