background

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Mercer Girls by Libbie Hawker

When the American Civil War ended cotton shipments to the north, the mill town of Lowell, Massachusetts suffered lost jobs and lost fortunes.  When A. S. Mercer, a Seattle resident, came east to recruit women to travel west to Seattle, where men outnumbered women ten to one, a few plucky Lowell women took the risk.  This book was inspired by actual events, on which the late '60s television show Here Come The Brides was also based.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails