background

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day...

Happy 4th, America!

This is what I decided to decorate with this year.  A found envelope...addressed and stamped from my dad to my mother while he was overseas in WWII.  Sadly no letters were found.

After seeing something similar on Pinterest awhile back, I took the envelope to OfficeMax and had it scanned and enlarged.  Then I used Mod-Podge to apply it to a canvas...I think it's 24" x 32".  I may do something with the edges another time.


See!  Looks pretty cool on the mantel, yes?  The flag is an old one with just 48 stars.  I've been meaning to buy a frame for it for ages, and finally got that done as well.  The canvas and the frame were both hugely discounted last week, so that worked out nicely for my wallet.


This shot isn't the best photo, but I wanted to show how the Mod-Podge caused the paper to stretch and wrinkle in the application process.  I basically resorted to finger painting on the medium, and worked the wrinkles out as much as possible.  You can still see them from a side view, but it doesn't noticeably distort the image at all.  And I actually think it makes the piece look more handmade.

I think this will stay displayed well after the holiday, and even though it may get rotated out eventually, it will be treasured for years to come.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful project. I remember "air mail" Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST saw this on Pinterest!
    How cool is yours?!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails