background

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What I'm reading Wednesday...

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

It seems there is a small percentage of people who are born, age fairly normally until puberty or so, and from then on they age very, very slowly.  The main character, Tom, thinks of it as possibly an abnormality on the opposite end of the spectrum from progeria (the genetic condition that makes some children age at an accelerated pace).  Tom was born centuries ago, but he passes for 41.  He can never stay in one place for long, or else people would start noticing that time is marching on for them, but not for him.  And he can't return to a place he has lived before until a sufficient time has passed, so that anyone who knew and would recognize him would no longer be around.

This is set to be made into a movie soon starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't had a lot of reading time, so I'm not far into it. I think I read a review that called it a rom-com. I definitely haven't made it to the romance or the comedy yet. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope our local library has this because it sounds like it would be a good read. I have quite a few books from the library at the moment to read but always have room for one more! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to read it! And I like Benedict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Seems like it will make a good movie. Lots of opportunity for period costuming! :)

      Delete
  4. Kath, I am so behind with reading posts. Did you not like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t especially like How to Stop Time. It took me forever to read…I’ve had so much to do…and it didn’t hold my attention, so I didn’t hurry back to it when I could. And the ending wasn’t very good. A mere okay book; not really recommendable.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails