Tuesday, September 29, 2026
What I'm reading Wednesday...
I could not resist reserving Lisa See's newest book at the library. Love her work! Her research is great, and I always learn something. Characters are so well developed and relationships are compelling. I was so busy last week, that I didn't get to read, and it was due back to the library today. I finished it about 6:30 this morning after reading all night. :) 57th of the year
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I liked it, too, and my book club agreed that it could be a hard read at times. The moderator chose Theo of Golden as a palate cleanser for next month, ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who absolutely hates when Lisa See writes about foot binding. It was a pretty horrific practice.
DeleteI didn't love Theo of Golden, but most of it I was okay with.
As usual your post sent me to see what the book is about. I wasn't aware of that part of the Los Angeles pueblo history although we have toured the remnants and lived in the LA area for a long time.
ReplyDeleteThe author included historic photos in the book. It was very interesting, and kind of pointed to how we haven't learned much. During an 1871 riot in LA, many Chinese were lynched and Chinese businesses were looted and/or destroyed (by white citizens). Though the 13th Amendment abolished slavery and involuntary servitude, there were exclusions for Chinese workers, and also excluded from birthright citizenship.
Delete