The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
I finished it last night, and I liked it. I didn't love it, but I thought it was very interesting for the time, and an indictment of hedonism. This is our book club selection this month, and I highlighted a good deal to discuss.
Book club is at my house a week from today. We normally have assigned food categories, but I saw some interesting ideas online for food and activities for this book, so I asked all the members to just bring something inspired by their reading of it. There weren't a lot of specific foods mentioned that I can remember, except for oranges sold at a play as an audience concession.
I'm making the main dish, and I chose a Victorian-era dish (with a modern-day adaptation to the recipe). I let members know what I was making so they would know there would be a main dish, but asked everyone else to not tell me or each other what they were bringing, and if we ended up with all desserts it would just point to the the excess of the Victorian upper class. (It would serve me right if they each just bring a bag of oranges!) :)
I picked up the new Lisa See novel from the library today, so that is what I will be reading this week. However I have a lot to do to get the house straightened up for book club, so I don't know how much reading I will get done.



Please report on the results of the potluck book club menu as it sounds fun! I've never read that book.
ReplyDeleteI had never read it either. Will definitely let you know how the potluck goes. :)
DeleteLet me know what you think of the Lisa See book. Book club gave it mostly positive reviews, but it was difficult to read sometimes, so I had to take it in small doses. I'm sure I will remember it for awhile.
ReplyDeleteOkey dokey!
Delete