background

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

What I'm reading Wednesday...

 
Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A True (As Told To Me) Story by Bess Kalb

I shared this one last Wednesday and have since finished it, but it bears showing again as it was a winner.  I rated it 10 out of 10 points on my rating system.  Usually I find it hard to rate a memoir, but this one's style was so engaging, and I felt I was there with the family.  I know I would love to read it again sometime.  Lovely, lovely book. 


The Perfect Gentleman: The remarkable life of Dr. James Barry by June Rose

Now I'm on to another non-fiction, this time a biography.  It just piqued my interest when I saw it on Kindle Unlimited.  A child prodigy born in early 1800s, came from poverty but had a few well-placed benefactors, began medical school at 10, served for decades as a surgeon with the British Army, and practiced many medical innovations.  When death came at age 56, it was discovered that the doctor was, in fact, a woman.

This seems like it had to be made up, but it is historically documented.  How have we never heard of this person?

2 comments:

  1. The Perfect Gentleman is not at my library. I'll have to search around online. I did receive the Land Breakers but haven't gotten to start yet. Enjoying your shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hard copy must be out of print, as all the ones I see online are very expensive. I got Kindle version from Amazon. The one thing I don't like about Kindle is that you can't loan your books to people!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails