background

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Giving thanks...



This photo, taken on our journey (and from a moving vehicle), is an inadequate representation of an awesome phenomenon. See the bright spot just a hair left of center in the photograph? That is one of a pair of sun dogs. In reality it looked rather like a rainbow, and at first that's what we thought it was, except for the fact that it didn't bow. Then we noticed that there was another one on the opposite side of the sun (both outside of this frame to the left). Luckily we were in the company of a science teacher, and she reached back in distant memories and pulled up an accurate name...she also carries a blackberry, so we could then look it up. (The sunshine was bouncing off hexagonal ice particles in the atmosphere.)

Do the clouds in the photo remind you somewhat of Van Gogh's Starry Night, or is it just me? I love sky watching, and seeing unusual occurrences always fills me with thanksgiving. And since we are moving rapidly toward the holiday thereby named, I thought I would kick off a month of thankfulness in my posts.

Today I am thankful for eyes to see, friends who teach, cameras to document, and a spirit of appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails