1. It had probably been a year since we had steak on the menu, so I put ribeyes on the shopping list. They were pretty pricey, but large, and we cut them in half before serving. Cooked on the grill to a perfect medium rare. Fed three adults for much less than ordering the same at a restaurant...and enough left to make three extra-special meals for the freezer to go to work with Carey, as well a a nice-sized piece that I sliced thin to add to a fabulous salad to go to work with me.
2. I bought 4 oz of ground cinnamon from the bulk bins for $1.38...the same amount of name brand in a shaker is almost 3 times as much...and it saved a plastic shaker from ending up in the landfill.
3. A 24 oz package of my favorite brand of thick-sliced bacon is regularly $8.98. It was on sale for $5.99 this week. Four extra packages came home to my freezer. Shouldn't need to bring home the bacon again till next year. ;)
4. But Carey didn't get that memo, because he got a surprise raise today...effectively bringing home even more bacon. 😊
5. I booked a few hours of work on Monday morning. This is at a local branch, so I was happy to say yes when asked. I turn down less than full days at branches that I have to commute to, because it just doesn't seem worth a few hours' pay when it has to cover gas for the trip over and back.
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: ribeyes, hot potato salad, corn
Sunday: Sunday family dinner at Kasey's
Monday: fried rice and egg rolls
Tuesday: roast, potatoes, carrots
Wednesday: *Schlotzky sandwiches
Thursday: grazed the fridge
Friday: Asian Sesame Meatballs with rice
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)