Week 26 means the year is half over! I wish that meant I was further ahead than I am. Unfortunately it means that my intuition to be more frugal this year was a very good one.
The industry that Carey works in has suffered a LOT of cutbacks. A large number of the people at his job have been let go. We've been lucky, though his hours have been cut a bit meaning somewhat less take home. Exercising more self-discipline with spending (or NOT spending) is a good thing. :)
1. For quite some time I've been ordering ice water with lemon (free) rather than tea or soda ($2 and up) when at restaurants. I can't convince my family to follow suit...c'est la vie. I've been increasing water intake at home as well of late.
2. Made a two-week menu plan and did a massive grocery shop with trips to both Costco and local grocery. Enough purchased to make one-for-now-and-one-or-more-for-freezer dinners, so I think I can make the two-week menu stretch to much longer than that. And should only have to return to store for mini shops to replenish fresh fruits and vegetables
3. Remembered to use my digital coupons, AND remembered my PIN this time, so I saved $9 on grocery shop. Not a lot, but there were no convenience foods or things that normally have coupons included in the shop.
4. Groceries in the house and cooking at home means the freezer is replenished with individually-packed home-cooked meals for Carey to take to work.
5. Went to auction. Looked around. Nothing I needed. Left.
I still haven't cleaned out my side of the garage, which means that my car is parked outside in the brutal summer sun which can't be good for the interior.
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Sunday: Family dinner at Kasey's
Monday: Easy Enchilada Casserole, guacamole
Tuesday: *friends night out for me;
slow cooker roast, potatoes, green beans for hubs
Wednesday: Sunday Chicken
Thursday: meatloaf / twice baked potatoes / corn
Friday: Baked Ravioli with Sweet Peppers
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)