1. I was supposed to go grocery shopping on Tuesday, but I had a headache and a couple of kiddos spending the night while their daddy was working and their mama had a two-day business trip come up at the last second. (I, happily, am their frugal emergency baby sitting service!) I nixed grocery shopping in favor of self-preservation. I still needed an easy supper that I thought they might like, however. I made Mexican Macaroni Salad. The dressing calls for mayo, sour cream, and salsa. I didn't have salsa, so I stirred together the mayo and sour cream and added half a packet of taco seasoning. It worked great. I also added browned ground beef to make it a one-bowl meal. Sometimes being frugal means being adventurous with a recipe. I left out what I didn't have on hand, and made substitutions of stuff in the pantry that I thought would work. There was macaroni, corn, black beans, ripe olives, red onion, cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese, browned ground beef, and the dressing. I got it pulled together without making a trip to the store.
2. A pool = huge initial expense, ongoing pool chemicals, and ongoing maintenance. Having a local family member with a pool = free access, no expense, no maintenance (for me)...THANK YOU local family member!
3. The hubs got another free t-shirt for donating blood this week. ALL of his t-shirts have come as thank-yous for blood donations.
4. I've been waiting on the reserve list for two ebooks for quite awhile through library, and they both became available this week.
5. Still postponing a haircut. And I haven't gotten a puppy yet either.
I came home after being gone for several hours to find that the refrigerator door had been left ajar all afternoon. Goodbye leftovers. :(
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: chili dogs
Sunday: Sunday dinner at Kasey's
Tuesday: Mexican Macaroni Salad
Wednesday: pork chops, baked sweet potatoes, green beans
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)