Wednesday, July 29, 2026

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Forty-sixth challenge finish of the year.

Interesting premise.  Would you like a chance to have one last meal with a lost loved one, to ask a question, share something left unsaid, or just be in their presence one more time?

Unfortunately it was looooooooong, and all the things I hate in a book.  Chapters from different characters points of view...some chapters I couldn't even grasp which character was speaking.  The descriptions of food which would call your departed loved one was detailed, wordy, went on and on, neverending; I think you get my drift.  

Then, when things go awry, the veil between this world and the next is ripped, ghosts are hangry and all in attendance at the restaurant's opening night, and it was like the climactic scene from the original Poltergeist movie.  Nope!  No more.  Just...no.

I did finish it, but out of self preservation I skimmed great swaths of it, picking out just enough to be able to follow the story.  Honestly, I wish I hadn't, but after spending so much time in it, I wanted to be able to count it for the challenge.

Perhaps the most ludicrous of all?  After acquiring a backer to open a swanky restaurant (a mob boss), and spending a fortune and so much effort...they name the restaurant "Duh."

Will I be reading any other work from this author?  Uh, no.  Duh!

 

2 comments:

  1. I won’t be reading it either! Sounds like it really fit the prompt though. I have two prompts to go and have made no progress on them in the past couple of months although I keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I just couldn't suspend THAT much disbelief. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails